Case Number 02-20
Case in Detail | Anonymised
Growing in an age of modern technology and digitization, the publishing industry has attained much height and standards. I have recently joined a society journal of Asia as a Managing Editor; this journal is publishing quality research papers from the last 10 years. I have surprised to see and realized that a number of high-quality articles which adds a major contribution to the literature are still off the technological record because of being published in a less known society journal. Obviously this is because of not being indexed in major indexing databases.
To set the standard of this society journal, following the demands of the indexing agencies and ethical authoritative organizations, I have started working by editing and revising the Journal’s Policies. During this procedure I faced the following obstacles:
- The demand of being unique in the write-up of Journal’s policies and not to use the already well-defined policies
- Paraphrase an already well defined Journal’s policy
- Writing the policies for the Journal’s website when the experts have developed the flow charts only for some policies
- Plagiarism concern in Journal’s Policy
- Non Availability of Open Access Journal Policies Template
- A large number of organizations with individual opinions and objections and very few points in common for policies
Question(s) for the ACSE Adviders:
We all know that managing a journal is not a full-time job for everyone. The procedure of publishing, its requirements, and the policies are all well known to our community now, but still, I couldn’t get appealing and well documented Polices that can be used for the Journal with full confidence. Considering my Journal’s terms of publishing, how can I judge the suitable clause of the policy for my journal?
Survey Question from ACSE to follow up the case:
- What sort of difficulties you face while finalizing the Journal’s Policies?
- Do you think a well-documented template will serve the community journals? Especially the Asian regions?
- Which segment is the most confusing for you to choose your Journal’s Type?
- Any suggestions or better ideas to help in this regard?